Tuesday 21 March 2017

Different game, same Wire ................

This is getting very very repetitive, yet again we lost to a team that we should be beating. The Oxford dictionary definition of repetitive is "containing or characterised by repetition, especially when unnecessary or tiresome". This amply describes our play this season.  As with the Salford and Wigan games, I knew by the 10 minute mark that we would lose. Our attitude, skill level and willingness to work for each other were all absent. Within the 1st  8 minutes, Jack Hughes alone gave away a penalty and came up with an unforced error. He was not on his own and because of errors or poor execution I don't think we completed a set in the first quarter of the game. Last season we were the Super Leagues leading points scorers, yet this year we look totally clueless in attack. 

Watching Thursdays game was one of the most depressing I can recall and I've watched Warrington since the late 70's. Over the years I have seen us produce some bloody bad performances, but last Thursday left me speechless. I wont go on stating how bad we were, it was there for all to see.

As a team we are now in a very big hole. It's the middle of March and I think top 2 is already lost to us. We are 9 points behind Wigan who are top and 8 behind Castleford, Leeds and Hull who are joint 2nd. 1 or 2 of these teams may well fall by the wayside, but not all 4. The best I think we can hope for is a 3rd to 5th finish, but if we don't turn things around now, we will not even finish top 8. For a club with Warrington's squad and resources, this is nothing short of a disaster and a disgrace. 

This Friday we travel to St Helens, since their move from Knowsley Road we have done well away to Saints and 5 weeks ago it was a game that I had marked down as very winnable. But our performances in 2017 has left me more hoping for win as opposed to expectation. I cannot find much more to write about our team, other than to say this Friday, it is for them to dig deep and produce the performance and result that we know they are capable of.

In my blogs this season I have been unshakable in my support for Tony Smith. He has been brilliant for our club and I want him and his playing staff to turn things around and for Tony to remain our Coach. 

However, its is with great sadness and a distinct sense and  feeling of disloyalty when I say, that if we were to lose this Friday, then I will no longer be able to continue in my support of Tony as Coach of the club that I love and watched for most of my adult life...................   

No comments:

Post a Comment